California Advanced Energy Roadmap Will
Grow the Economy, Create Jobs
San Francisco, June 14, 2018 — Today, business group Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) released a policy roadmap for the California gubernatorial campaigns of Democratic nominee Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and Republican nominee John Cox outlining how advanced energy can drive economic growth in the state. The policy roadmap, “Advanced Energy Roadmap for California: How the Next Governor Can Make California’s Energy System more Secure, Clean, and Affordable While Driving Jobs and Economic Growth,” outlines policy priorities the next governor of California can pursue to take full advantage of the economic development potential provided by advanced energy technologies and services.
Over the past few months, AEE hosted a series of pre-primary roundtables with gubernatorial candidates to discuss their vision for California and give them a better understanding of how the advanced energy industry is driving economic growth in the state. The policy roadmap expands on these discussions, focusing on the path ahead.
“California has a long history of using public policy to transform energy markets,” said Amisha Rai, Senior Director of California Policy for AEE. “Advanced energy currently supports more than 540,000 jobs in the state. The next governor can pursue the priorities outlined in our policy roadmap to expand the advanced energy market in the state and create even more jobs. We look forward to continuing to discuss with the Newsom and Cox campaigns how the next governor can do this.”
In the policy platform, AEE presents five key themes for the campaigns to consider:
- Accelerate Progress toward California’s Goals with a Focus on Implementation.California is leading the way to a 100% clean grid and transportation system. The next administration should focus all of the implementing agencies on a single vision and work to align the various proceedings and agency discussions with the state’s overall goals.
- Boost Economic Development and Jobs Statewide.The advanced energy industry is growing at a rapid pace. The state should maximize both public and private sector economic development opportunities that are tied to its growth.
- Modernize the Electricity System to Focus on Consumer Needs.Our energy system has undergone rapid changes over the last decade. California stands to gain from upgrading its utility regulatory framework to align the interests of utility shareholders, state energy policy, and customers.
- Electrify the Transportation Sector.Transportation electrification is a transformational shift that brings a host of public benefits. The next governor can continue to position California as a leader in the electric vehicle (EV) marketplace by improving incentives to increase access to EVs, build-out EV infrastructure, and maximize the use of available public and private funds.
- Expand Markets for Advanced Energy in the West. California has set the stage for a broader regional strategy on climate and energy. Expanding markets will result in greater benefits to Californians while enabling deeper emission reductions and efficiency throughout the energy system.
In the policy roadmap, AEE also recommended specific executive actions and immediate, medium-term, and long-term legislative and regulatory options.
About Advanced Energy Economy
Advanced Energy Economy is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. Advanced energy encompasses a broad range of products and services that constitute the best available technologies for meeting energy needs today and tomorrow. AEE’s mission is to transform public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. AEE and its state and regional partner organizations are active in 27 states across the country, representing more than 1,000 companies and organizations in the advanced energy industry. Learn more at www.aee.net and track our latest news @AEEnet.
Media Welcome! Join us for AEE's premier California energy policy event, Pathway to 2050, Aug. 8, in Sacramento: We bring together influential advanced energy business leaders and state policymakers to discuss opportunities to accelerate California's economy through the growth of advanced energy. RSVP to email@example.com for complimentary press registration.