The co-founders of Opower, Dan Yates & Alex Laskey share the 5 top trends to look out for in utilities this year:
- The development of new energy efficiency policies not only in the US but in Europe and Asia as well
- Natural gas is slowly but surely replacing coal as the primary fuel for US electricity generation
- Innovative ways of generating electricity such as the use of solar panels and the behind-the-meter distributed generation systems will affect the sales and revenues of utilities. Utilities must therefore find opportunities to participate in distributed generation
- Smart meter infrastructure will pave the way for dynamic pricing programs
- Changes in grid demand and supply will require utilities to think differently about how to manage transition. Read more here.