The Advanced Energy Economy Institute recently released California employment survey found that more than 40,000 advanced energy businesses in the state employ more than 431,800 people, making California's advanced energy industry a bigger employer than Hollywood.
The industry is expected to grow, as noted in the Sacramento Business Journal coverage of the survey: "Report: California's alternative energy industry to add about 70,000 jobs next year." The reporter, Allen Young writes, "estimated that the Sacramento region has 15,000 alternative energy jobs, the Bay Area has 104,500 jobs, the Inland Empire has 55,300 and Southern California has 172,400 jobs."
Utility Dive focused on the sheer number of advanced energy jobs in the state, with the title "Survey: Calif. advanced energy economy approaching half a million jobs."
"California now has 431,800 jobs in its advanced energy economy," the article notes, "with 73,000 in solar, according to a survey from the Advanced Energy Economy Institute. California's is the biggest U.S. advanced energy industry and provides more jobs to the state than its film, television and radio sectors."
CleanTechnica's coverage, 430,000 Advanced Energy Jobs In California… Today! quoted Kish Rajan, the director of the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz), “California is the national leader in the advanced energy economy and that leadership is contributing to significant job growth across multiple sectors in every region of the state.”
Greentech Media tied the survey to their regular Green Jobs On the Move feature. The feature, which usually focuses on industry executive employment news, included this paragraph:
A survey released by the Advanced Energy Economy Institute finds that theadvanced energy industry in California provides 431,800 jobs, making it a larger employer in California than the "motion picture, television, and radio industries; mining and quarrying; semiconductors; and aerospace." The building, homes and business efficiency business employs more than 300,000 Californians according to the survey results, which can be found here.
A full listing of press coverage of the survey can be found below.
- Utility Dive, Survey: Calif. advanced energy economy approaching half a million jobs
- Greentech Media, Green Jobs: JA Solar, DOE, Yingli, Nexant, Amyris, Sol Systems
- Sacramento Business Journal, Report: California's alternative energy industry to add about 70,000 jobs next year
- Cleantechnica, 430,000 Advanced Energy Jobs In California… Today!
- Smart Grid News, Survey ranks California U.S. advanced energy leader
- PV-Tech, Survey: California boasts almost 73,000 workers in solar industry
- SolarReviews, Advanced energy, including solar, supports more than 430K jobs in California—and growing!
- PV Magzine, Advanced energy drives California job creation
- Solar Novus Today, Advanced energy drives California job creation
- Greentech Lead, Over 300,000 Californians employed in building energy efficiency
- DomesticFuel, BioEnergy Bytes