Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, electric vehicles, and more. Engaged at the federal level and more than a dozen states around the country, AEE represents more than 100 companies in the $240 billion U.S. advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate at the federal level, in wholesale electricity markets, and more than a dozen states for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative Principal to join AEE’s professional services team with a focus on building our capacity to engage in Washington D.C., including on the Hill, with the Administration, and with coalition partners and allies. The Principal will work with AEE team members to develop and implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to achieve policy successes at the federal and state level that will expand markets for the advanced energy industry. Examples of initiatives across the organization where the Principal might work include coalition building and advocacy in support of our policy priorities in Washington D.C., policy campaigns to enact pro-advanced energy legislation in D.C. and the states and defending existing advanced energy policies in key states, developing regulatory strategies that reflect AEE interests in creating a 21st Century Electricity System, engaging in regulatory and stakeholder efforts to expand opportunities for advanced energy in competitive wholesale markets, and policy education efforts to create advanced energy champions in key positions.
AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who brings a background in issue advocacy at the state or federal level, and experience with energy markets and advanced energy technologies. The Principal will work collaboratively as part of project teams under the direction of Policy Directors and with other members of the professional services team on both internal and external projects. The Principal will work collaboratively with key stakeholders to advance AEE’s policy agenda in Washington D.C. and priority states. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to work on multiple projects as needed to support AEE’s work in a variety of areas. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel (post pandemic) to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials.
- Work collaboratively with AEE professional services team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in Washington D.C. and key states as part of AEE’s core portfolio. In particular, this person will be responsible for building out and maintaining AEE’s presence in Washington D.C. on clean energy stimulus, working to promote our policy priorities with allies and key decision makers, and leveraging state-level networks to influence and inform our work in D.C.
- Work with AEE members to develop policy positions and reach consensus on policy positions on key issues. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Work with AEE professional services team members in support of our newest Working Group, Advanced Energy Manufacturing. This work intersects heavily with AEE’s federal engagement, and this Principal will work collaboratively on and with both work streams.
- Work collaboratively with AEE professional services team members on additional various policy areas as needed, ranging from transportation electrification to clean energy standards to utility business model reform.
- Organize member engagement opportunities through direct decision maker engagement including lobby days and candidate education, earned media, and expert testimony; and participate in legislative, rulemaking, and administrative processes, as needed.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, allies, and key legislative, regulatory and administrative staff.
- Work with communications staff to identify and seize opportunities to showcase stories and evidence of the advanced energy economy taking hold in the states. Draft press statements, write blog posts, participate in webinars, and create opportunities to showcase advanced energy.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%, post pandemic) to targeted states for advocacy days, technical conferences, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
- Bachelor’s degree, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics or Engineering preferred or applicable comparable experience
- Minimum of four years of professional experience and engagement in the energy sector
- Political campaign or organizing experience, preferably in the clean energy space
- An interest in energy and transportation issues and an understanding of the importance of policy advocacy to advance an organizational agenda
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Ability to distill complicated topics into easy-to-digest key takeaways
Special Application Instructions
Job type: Full-time.
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: On or about May 1
Please submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume to email@example.com.
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to diversity in the workplace and promote a drug-free environment.